Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pinterest craft- Contact Paper Window Cover

All the windows in this house are covered with mini blinds (just so you know I really don't like mini blinds) so I have been trying to come up with alternative window covers that won't break the bank. The back door has a little window that was of course covered with a mini blind and I got to thinking it would look really cut to do the peel and stick window covering there. I will have to say I didn't realize how much that stuff cost!! So here is my alternative ...
To start with I took down the mini blinds and cleaned the window. Here's what I thought about the blinds :)
So,this is what I had to work with.
I went and found the roll of contact paper that I had bought to laminate some of the kids art work to hang on the wall, some scissors, and a piece of card stock. I drew a design on the card stock and cut it out. This is my stencil. Not sure what pattern to use? There is inspiration everywhere. I got mine from a piece of material. After I got my stencil "just right" I traced it on the back of the contact paper and started cutting out my pieces. 
The amount of pieces you will need depends on the size of your window. Next you start putting them on the window. I started in the center ( I picked the center row and started at the window edge). You just peel the back off and stick it to the window. Don't like where it is? Just move it. 
I used a razor to trim the edges. It isn't perfect, but I love the way it turned out! And the best part was that the contact paper only cost $6 and I still have over half a roll left! 
Here is the finished project :)





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I would like to buy custom blinds for my home too. My shutters are old now. The problem is that I don't know how to order by just stating the measurements. Is it easy to install them?

    ReplyDelete